Adhesive labels for beer
SOME TIPS FOR IMAGINING THE BEST LABEL FOR YOUR BEER ?
The beer market is increasingly competitive, in fact in recent years a multitude of producers have appeared in this sector. The offer available to consumers is vast, and it becomes important to differentiate yourself from the competition with size labels! We have put together a guide for you on how to best design your adhesive labels.
# WHAT IS MY BRAND IDENTITY ?
The first question you have to ask yourself is: what is my brand identity? You need to question yourself and reflect on the meaning and history of your brand in order to have all the cards in hand to create custom labels that will reflect your identity. Thus, you must know the positioning of your beers in relation to your competitors.
For this, it is necessary to go through several steps:
• What will be the name of your beer ? Your name must reflect your brand image, is your production artisanal? French? Why is she better than the others? All these points are essential to highlight the personality of your brand. They are the ones who will determine the message you will communicate to your customers through your labels.
• Who is my target, in other words who are my clients ? To sell your beer you have to define the segment to target, it is not useful to try to please everyone because it is not likely to work! The goal is to focus on the needs and expectations of a single customer group. To do this, define their tastes and preferences in terms of beers, what their income is and where they go to make their purchases. Knowing the preferences of your customers will allow you to imagine an attractive design for the target in question.
• How can they buy my beers? This last question is essential, indeed it will make it possible to determine the most suitable distribution channel for your offer. Do your customers go to the supermarket, on the Internet, in specialty shops to buy their beers? Do they buy packs of 6 or individually? These are central elements to take into account to set up the right marketing actions, especially for the creation of your labels.
# THE DECISIVE CHOICE: BOTTLES OR CANS OF BEER?
Before designing the design of your labels, you must ask yourself if you prefer packaging in the form of a can or beer bottles? Once you've made your decision, it's time to move on to the creation step.
# BEER LABEL DESIGN CREATION?
The label is a central communication tool in the promotion of your beer bottles. It is the first point of contact between your customers and your product, it will convince consumers of your expertise and the taste of your beer. Its objective is to allow consumers to get an idea of the quality of the beers you offer. Indeed, you will be able to communicate the manufacturing information, the labels obtained (organic ...), the ingredients used, the DLC and the brewing method (artisanal ...) to your customers by writing them on the label. So, you have to figure out how to transform the personality of your brand into a visual identity transcribed on the label.
To seduce your customers, you must focus on several elements: colors, size and shape, typography, style and images to integrate.
• Which colors to choose? The choice of colors is fundamental since they make it possible to catch the eye in an instant. It is therefore an effective communication tool to communicate the personality of your brand. You must however be careful in the choice of colors, because each one has its meaning and allows to communicate an emotion. Before doing color tests, you must first take into consideration the natural color of your bottles (dark or light brown, green or transparent) as well as the color of your beer itself. Depending on the glass chosen, you may or may not allow yourself some freedom. For example, green bottles often have a black and white label on which an additional color is added in fine touches. On the other hand, brown allows a neutral creative base on which a large palette of colors matches perfectly. You can also grant yourself the right to play with the transparency of your label to reveal the color of your beer, so your label will be highlighted thanks to your production.
• What size and shape to choose? The size and shape of the label can be standardized or on the contrary free. Indeed, you can opt for traditional formats or decide to create a tailor-made shape to differentiate yourself from the competition. Before making your choice, it is important to take into account the capacity of your beer bottles: 33 cl, 50 cl or 75 cl because the dimensions of the labels can then vary. The shape of the bottle should also be taken into consideration before creating your design.
• Which typography to choose? Typography is central to consumers' understanding of your label. If the font used is illegible, your customers will not be able to understand the elements you want to convey to them. Some fonts can give your production a traditional look, such as handwritten or serif typography. Conversely, sans-serifs fonts will give a more contemporary and modern look to your label. You can opt for a mix of fonts, however it is essential to keep in mind that your label must be perfectly legible in the end. Consumers must be able to read all the information indicated on your labels, including your NAME and the mandatory information.
• Which graphic style and images to choose? The style of the label varies depending on your identity, some beer labels are true works of art while others are recognizable by their traditional design. You must choose a graphic style that will suit your target audience, if you want to appeal to a young audience you will orient yourself towards an original and daring design. On the other hand, if you offer traditional beers, you will adopt the usual style: name written roughly in a single dominant color with abstract images to attract the curiosity of future consumers. If you want to reach a more elitist target, a minimalist design will be more suitable.
• What text should be included in the label? The text on the label allows you to communicate all the information you want to convey to consumers. For this, you must focus on the characteristic that makes your added value: what really differentiates you from others? We recommend that you make a list of keywords that best illustrate your product, then choose the one that you think is most important. You will notice that most of the words you will write relate to taste, these taste elements are great for creating the basis of your design.
• EAN Barcode : If your beers are intended for sale in supermarkets, specialized supermarkets or other stores; do not forget to leave a space to insert the barcode.
# MANDATORY MENTIONS (FRANCE)
Remember that beer contains a percentage of alcohol, and as with any product containing alcohol, you must pay attention to the regulations in force. Thus, you must mention the mandatory information on your beer labels. Here is a list of exhaustive information that must appear on the label (be careful, this list is not fixed and it is your responsibility to find out about all the information to be mentioned on the label):
• NET WEIGHT
• ALCOHOL CONTENT
• GOOD LEGIBILITY OF LEGAL NOTICES (legal notices to be separated from promotional and commercial content, written in a readable and visible font)
• CHARACTER SIZE
• TYPE AND CLASS OF BEER
• NAME, ADDRESS AND CONTACT OF THE MANUFACTURER
# WHAT PAPERS TO CHOOSE FOR YOUR BEER LABELS?
Once the design is created, it's time to focus on choosing which paper to use for printing your labels. ADESA offers you a wide choice of papers and materials (available online and / or in tailor-made quotes): white, transparent or silver popypropylene, coated paper, etc. (for more info, see our papers and materials page). When choosing the media, keep in mind that your labels must resist cold and condensation, so you must be sure to choose a paper and a finish suitable for these conditions so as not to affect the printing.
Before placing an order, it is important to ask yourself about the installation technique you will use to stick your labels: will you opt for manual or automatic installation?
CAUTION : Depending on the bottling process used and at what stage the bottle is labeled, not all papers are suitable. To help you make the right choice in terms of paper, we advise you to contact our sales department.
Alcohol abuse is dangerous for your health - consume in moderation